Home  *  Our Pastor Services / Bible Study  *  Directions  Contact Us Audio / Video Sermons  

Vision, Mission and Values

Vision Statement

Shiloh Baptist Church will be a premier model of ministry which esteems individual and corporate spiritual growth, and whereby that growth has an impact on the local, national and international community

 

Mission Statement

The Mission of Shiloh Baptist Church shall be:

* To preach and teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ,       {Proclamation}

* To nurture Spiritual growth and Discipleship,              {Discipleship}

* To spread the Christian Faith at home and abroad,     {Evangelism}

* To serve God and improve the community                    {Service}

 

Core Values

Shiloh is a place where every word preached is centered on the authentic love and worship of God, based upon the Word of God.  Discipleship, empowerment and spiritual growth are at the core of how we nurture our members and remain an instrument to bring people to Christ. We implement sound and in-depth Christian education and training for all persons.  We use biblical stewardship to effectively use everyone's time, talent, spiritual gifts and treasures to advance the Kingdom of God.  We strive to be a place where authentic fellowship ("koinonia") is displayed and practiced and where there is a warm, welcoming, and inclusive environment that embraces, encourages and supports all those who enter.  Shiloh is dedicated to actively engaging in substantive ways, through Outreach and Missions, to display care, concern and responsibility for the community and the world.

 

Church Covenant

Having been, as we trust, brought by divine grace to embrace the Lord Jesus Christ, and to give ourselves wholly to HIM, we do now solemnly and joyfully covenant with each other to walk together in HIM, with brotherly love, to HIS glory, as our common Lord.  We do, therefore, in HIS strength engage:

 

*That we will exercise a Christian care and watchfulness over each other, and faithfully warn, exhort, and admonish each other as occasion may require: (Lev.19:18/Matt. 22:39/Rom 13:8-14)

 

*That we will not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, but will uphold the public worship of GOD and the ordinances of HIS House: (Heb. 10:24-25)

 

*That we will not omit closet or family religion at home, nor neglect the great duty of religiously training our children, and those under our care, for the service of Christ and the enjoyment of Heaven: (Matt. 6:5-15/Prov. 22:6)

    

*That as we are the light of the world, and the salt of the earth, we will seek divine aid to enable us to deny ungodliness and every worldly lust, and to walk circumspectly in the world, that we may win the souls of men and women. (Matt. 5:13-16/Rom.6:6/Col. 3:9/Rom. 13:13-14)

 

*That we will cheerfully contribute of our property, according as GOD has prospered us, for the maintenance of faithful and evangelical ministry among us, for the support of the poor and to spread the gospel over the earth through the work of missions:        (Pro. 3:9/19:17/Ps. 84:11/Acts 1:8/Mal. 3:8-10

 

*That we will in all conditions even till death, strive to live to the glory of HIM who hath called us out of darkness into HIS marvelous light:  (1Ptr. 2:9/Eph. 5:8/Rom. 13:12)

 

“And may the GOD of Peace, who brought again from the dead our LORD JESUS, the great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make us perfect in every work to do HIS will, working in us that which is pleasing in HIS sight through JESUS CHRIST to whom we glory, forever and ever.  Amen.” 

 

Shiloh History

 Church Mortgage Burning Video Clip

 

The recorded history of Shiloh predates the year 1888, during which time it was known as the First Colored Baptist Church of Trenton.  In 1888, under the pastorate of Reverend C.A. Berry, it was renamed the Berean Baptist Church and was located at 118 Perry Street in Trenton. The congregation was very mobile in those days and the church occupied several buildings.  At one point they met in a hall on South Broad Street, and were permitted at another point, to meet in the old City Hall located on the corner of Broad Street.  They moved from there to the old Arca Hall, then located on Hanover Street, and later they met in the old firehouse on New Willow Street.

 

Following Reverend Berry, the church records reveal that seven different ministers served the congregation.  They were: Reverend James Jackson, Reverend Henry Bacon, Reverend J.C. Johnson, Reverend Gaines, Reverend Smith, Reverend Kemp and Reverend A.T. Johnson.

 

In 1893, under the leadership of the Reverend J.B. Randolph, the church was reorganized and according to the records in the County Court House on October 16, 1897.  The membership was incorporated under the name of the Shiloh Baptist Church.  Following Reverend J.B. Randloph, came Reverend R. Kane, and then Reverend Walker, respectively, as pastors.  Under Reverend Walker's pastorate, the church purchased property located at 106 Belvidere Street.

 

When Reverend Walker resigned as pastor, the church called Reverend A. R. Satterfield under whose administration the old Shiloh Church located on Belvidere Street was built.  In 1904, the late Dr. John White assumed the spiritual leadership of the church.  Under his visionary ministry, land was purchased on Belvidere and on Calhoun Streets and in 1915 or 1916, construction began on a new church building which was dedicated for service in the spring of 1918.  Reverend Charles Leonard and Reverend David Bray served as Associate Ministers to Reverend Dr. White.  Reverend Dr. White served loyally and faithfully for 42 years and resigned only when the officers and the membership of the church agreed to his recommendation that the Reverend S. Howard Woodson, Jr. be called.  When Reverend Woodson assumed leadership of the church, our congregation numbered approximately 218.  In the years since, under Reverend Woodson's leadership, it has numbered more than 1,000.

 

The increasing membership and the mounting demands for enlarged worship and community services challenged us to undertake our largest venture in faith.  Upon the recommendation of the pastor and officers, we began a church building program.  As the work progressed, so our thoughts enlarged.  Our original church building budget was $495,000.00 and further increased with the addition of more floors in the building, a 3-story elevator and other improvements to a total of $890,000.00.  The new church was constructed with: a memorial chapel and a main sanctuary, a full size gymnasium, a first-aid room, a deaconess room, a rehearsal and dressing room for the choirs.  Individual offices were included for the pastor, associate ministers, chairman of the Trustee Board and Deacon Board, Superintendent of Church School.  The official boardroom was designed to also be used as an auxiliary balcony located over the chapel and overlooking the main sanctuary.  Eight closed-in classrooms, and six open ended classrooms.  the structure was also equipped with the most up to date  multi-media audiovisual equipment which included, a closed circuit TV, a sound system that is integrated for radio broadcasting, 3 organs, one to be located in the main sanctuary, the second in the memorial chapel and the third in the choir rehearsal room.  In addition, there is an outside memorial chapel located in the base of the glass tower.  It has been estimated that upon completion, the church was valued at more than 1.2 million dollars.

 

In January of 2000, Reverend Darrell L. Armstrong was elected by a 95% majority vote, as the third Pastor in approximately 100 years, to lead Shiloh's congregation into the 21st century.

 

 

Home  *  Our Pastor Services / Bible Study  *  Directions  Contact Us Audio / Video Sermons